Friday, January 8, 2010

2010 Business Goals

Many of us have already made our resolutions for 2010.  Did we include our art goals for the year?  I know that I hesitiate to to write down my goals for fear of not meeting my own expectations.  Rmember the old saying "Hitch you wagon to a star"?  It is far better for us to reach some of our goals than to have no goals at all.  And if we don't have something to work toward, we don't know where we are going.

The first thing I have done is to buy 3 new notebooks, one for my financial records, art inventory, and show/exhibits.  I have divided my goals  into the following categories:
  • Business-areas that I need to improve.  1)  I have developed an inventory sheet to use for the shows and exhibits I which enter each year.  2)  I am working on an inventory sheet for all my art work which will include a small digital image of the art piece, cost information, price and disposition. 3)  I plan to invest in professional business cards and maybe a brochure --it's nice to have an in-family graphic designer.  4)  I have bought a journal to keep a record of my art activities and art work.
  • Art Work-how I am going to work at my art and challenge myself.  1)  I am going to try to do simple daily sketches.  2)  I would like to try some new techniques this year. 3)  Complete a minimum of 1 painting per week.   3)  Paint at least 3 series in either oil or pastel.
  • Education--classes and workshops which will increase my knowledge base and techniques.  1)  Attend a minium of two workshops this year.  2)  Take advantage of local seminars.  3)  Explore and study at least 2 new artists and their work through books, videos, or classes.  Several of those on my want list are Kim English and Richard McKinley.  4)  Read my art journals and participate in exercises offered.  The first will be completing an underpainting project outlined by Richard McKinley in the Pastel Journal.
  • Peer Groups--I find that peer groups are very motivating.  1) Increase activity in local organizations.  2)  Look for new groups to paint with on a regular basis.
Let's make 2010 the year we try something new!  Please feel free to comment and share your goals with us.  If you would like copies of my inventory sheets when they are completed, I will be glad to share them with you.

May God bless you and keep you!

No comments:

Post a Comment